hem igen
Destination-guide on citygbg.se,
Welcome to a forum about travelling. Linkexchanging sites with information for tourists. Please tell us about your place.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Find

some short tips for you who will visit Stockholm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gothenburgs city forum Forum Index -> Stockholm
View previous topic :: View next topic  
citygbg.se

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: some short tips for you who will visit Stockholm Reply with quote

Usually you first get to centralstation in Stockholm after arriving on Arlanda or Bromma airport. The first thing to visit is Gamla Stan(Old town) and to do that youll need to cross vasabron to get over Riddarfjaerden.
Gamla stan, or "staden mellan broarna(the town between bridges)" is built by Birger Jarl in the 13:th century as a lock for Maelaren(the Gulf with Birka) and had great walls around the houses. Birger Jarl then had opportunity to get fees for merchants passing buy for selling things.
Birger Jarl is known as the man who united three kingdoms to one. That is why you see three crowns in a lot of Swedens logos.
The first building you see when passing Vasabron is Riddarhuset(house of knights).

If you turn your head to the right youll see stadshuset(city hall) where the Nobel Banquet take place.

To the left is Helgeandsholmen or house of commons and behind you see the royal castle.

The royal castle of Sweden is actually the biggest royal castle in the world with 600 rooms in 7 floors. You are able to get a guided tour here for about 9€ or 12$.

The castle is guarded by the High-guard(Hoegvakten) and acts like the beefeaters in London. That will say they may not smile or laugh.

After passing the castle and Big Church you walk along Stortorget(Big Square) that also is built in the 13:th century.

On Stortorget the Swedish Academy got its adress. This is where a lot of old people in the Swedish academy decide who will get the Nobel Price this year.

In the house youll find the Nobelmuseum. This month they had an exhibition about Hertha Müller . Herta Müller is a Romanian author that wrote petry in Romania with their secret police, securitate, chasing her and made her unemployed because she refused cooperate with them.
She managed to escape in 1987 and got a lot of literary awards and also worked as a guest proffessor in many universities. Read more about Hertha Müller and nobelmuseum on nobelmuseum.se

If you dont got time to earn a noble medal you are able to buy one in the shop on Nobel Museum.

Martha Bojassen are selling them in the Nobelmuseum shop. She also loves to tell you about all nobelprice taken the last hundred years.

Around Stortorget you´ve got a lot of alleys and small restaurants. This is Anchor Alley.

This is another by the quarter of Pyreneus in the south of Gamla stan.

Another option could be taking the Tram out on Djurgaarden(animal farm).

Easiest way is taking the Tram from Nybroplan near Dramatic theatre in Stockholm. You are able to pay by mobile or with tickets bought in Seven Eleven. It costs you about 4€ or 5$ for a 1 hour trip.

The tram take you all the way out to Waldemars udde. On the way you pass Wasa museum, Skansen and Groena Lund.
Waldemarsudde was the swedish prince Eugens residens and this prince loved painting. Out in this castle you also got lovely exhibitions with art and poetry.

On Waldemarsudde you got a nice view over Stockholm.

Near Groena Lund you are able to take the Djurgaardsferry back to Gamla stan again. Now you have to pay another ticket that costs about the same. It is well worth the money.

The first stopp is Skeppsholmen. Skeppsholmen is an island with 4 museums. In the 17:th century the island where used by the Swedish fleet to defend Stockholm against the russians. You are able to walk from Skeppsholmen to Blaiseholmen by a bridge and could be worth a visit.

With the ferry you are passing Groena Lund

and wasamuseum.

You are also passing a couple of all the ferries going to Finland and Aaland. You are able to visit finland, Estonia and all the other countries round the Baltic sea for an affordable price of about 20€ or 25$.

The ferry stops by slussen. From where you are able to walk back again. It is just a couple of kilometers back to centralstation.

In November you are able to go skating in Kungstradgarden(Kings garden). You rent a pair of skates nearby and go for some roundabouts on the ice.
Ive got some more pics from Stockholm and will put them on later. Please add some more information and pictures if youve been in Stockholm.

Last edited by citygbg.se on Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
victorbritts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stockholm is the heaven on the earth. BTW Seriously amazing photos! Stockholm has been on my list for a while, but your endorsement really makes me want to go!
mogan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I cannot praise you enough for all your wonderful tips and pictures! I just wish that you had given some tips related to food, i mean where to eat and what to eat!

If you traveling to Gran Canaria, take Mogan Apartments Rent for a pleasant stay.
citygbg.se

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Well sorry I did not meantion food Reply with quote

mogan wrote:
Wow! I cannot praise you enough for all your wonderful tips and pictures! I just wish that you had given some tips related to food, i mean where to eat and what to eat!

If you traveling to Gran Canaria, take Mogan Apartments Rent for a pleasant stay.

Well, you´ve got thousands of restaurants, cafés, inns in Stockholm. I think the easiest way to find somewhere to eat is in Gamla stan(old town)
If you read my first topic here I mentioned the Nobel museum. I think this is quite a good restaurant where you are able to get good food for an affordable price around 100skr(12€, 15$, 8£). Then youve got hundreds of exciting small restaurants around this island and I suggest you check out all you manage.
clarkj

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the virtual tour! Very Happy
clarkj

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: You´ve got more options then arlandaexpress Reply with quote

Quote:
For me it was expensive to get from the airport to the city center ...

Yes, that is quite common that people from foreign countries uses the easiest way from Arlanda airport to city. And that is when you are using arlandaexpress. Costs from 20$ a trip. However, if you use the ordinary subway it is much cheaper. Then you buy a trip by therminal 5, take bus 583 to Märsta and then train 36 to city. Costs about 5-10$ dependent on time you are travelling.
Se more on sl.se>>>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gothenburgs city forum Forum Index -> Stockholm All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: